After almost an entire year of distance learning once the pandemic began, the thought of returning to school in person may bring on a mix of emotions. Feeling prepared for a transition like this can definitely help lessen and ease any anxiety that a student or family have around this adjustment. Down below are a few different ways that students and parents can prepare to return to in person school. Happy learning!
- Practice wearing your masks for extended periods of time to prepare for 6-7 hour school days of wearing your masks (except for eating).
- Practice washing your hands properly.
- Prepare your school bag the night before with the things you need the next day (school supplies, masks, hand sanitizer, laptop, etc..) and place it by the door. Remember to include your laptop and charger everyday.
- Pack extra masks in your child's school bag and mark them with their initials, along with a storage bag for them to avoid misplacing at school.
- Check for symptoms of illness every day before your child leaves for school. If they have any symptoms, please refrain from sending them to school.
- Help your child develop daily routines before and after school- for example, things to pack for school in the morning and things to do when your child returns home like wash their hands and wash their mask immediately.
- Have a backup plan for possible school closures/quarantines in the future. You may have to consider the options of teleworking, taking leave from work or having a family member or trusted adult take care of your child during this time.